Districts » Bankura
> - Services
District Headquarter: Bankura
Bankura : A district with high percentage of Tribal
population. Cultivation is the main source of income. Famous for music, art and culture.
With the diverse variety of land with large tracts of forests, hills, the districts has
found place the tourists map. Mukutmanipur, Bishnupur, Jhilmil are the main spots of
Taluk Headquarters: Hirapur, Saltora, Mejia, Barjora, Gangajalghoti,
Chhatna, Indpur, Khatra, Ranibandh, Raipur, Simlapal, Taldangra, Bishnupur, Onda, Jaipur,
Kotalpur, Indas, Patrasaer, Sonamukhi.
It lies just north of the Dhaleshwari (Dhalkisor) River. As a major
Grand Trunk Road and rail junction, Bankura is an agricultural distributing centre. Rice
and oilseed milling, cotton weaving, metalware manufacture, and railway workshops are the
major industries. Constituted a municipality in 1869, Bankura has several colleges,
including a medical school, affiliated with the University of Burdwan. Bankura lies on a
densely populated alluvial plain. Rice, wheat, corn (maize), and sugarcane are the chief
crops in the surrounding agricultural area; mica, china clay, iron-ore, lead, zinc, and
wolframite deposits are also worked in the locality. The area long remained a focus of
Hindu culture based on the Mallabhum kingdom, with its capital at Bishnupur. Pop. (1981)
- Area square km 6.882.00
- Forest square km 1,397.00
- Net sown area square km 4,008.59
- Net irrigated area square km 1,522.36
- Population '000 2,805.07
- Male '000 1,437.52
- Female '000 1,367.55
- Urban '000 232.48
- Rural '000 2,572.59
- Population growth (p.a.) % 1.66
- Population density Persons/Sq.Km. 407.59
- Relative Index of Development 60.00
- Urbanisation % 8.29
- Literacy % 52.04
- Male % 66.75
- Female % 36.55
- Workers as % of total population % 35.91
- Workers as % of main workers
- AgricuLture & allied activities % 75.82
- Mining & Quarrying % 0.32
- Mfg. (Non-household) industries % 4.92
- Household industries % 3.44
- ConstRuction % 1.01
- Services % 14.50
- Forest area as % of reporting area % 20.38
- Gross irrigated area as % of gross cropped area % 33.07
- Fertilizer consumption per ha. Kg 77.00
- Per capita food grain production Kg 259.00
- Road Length per 100 sq. km Km 17.51
- Post offices per 100,000 persons No. 16.83
- Telegraph offices per 100,000 persons No. 0.96
- Bank branches per 100,000 persons No. 5.85
- Per caita Bank deposits Rupees 838.00
- Per capita Bank credit Rupees 300.00
- Per capita Bank credit to SSIs Rupees 27.00
- Per capita Bank credit to industries Rupees 89.00
Crop Quantity (tones) Value as % of district total -
- Rice 699,793 80.36
- Potatoes 250,440 11.81
- Rapeseed 12,276 2.80
- Sesamum 8,329 2.28
- Wheat 21,066 1.63
- Jute 13,403 0.26
- Sugarcane 11,783 0.13
Major Minerals Production
Mineral Quantity in tones Value in Rupees Millions
- Coal 40,000 10.00
- Fireclay 14,754 0.57
- Other lay 2,597 0.05
- Baishali Multilayers Pvt. Ltd
- BIAX Ltd.
- Blue Plast Extrusions Pvt. Ltd.
- Cellulose Containers Pvt. Ltd.
- Dieless Forge Ltd.
- EMR Polytex Pvt. Ltd.
- Exodus Knitwear Pvt. Ltd.
- Kero Rajendra Monolithic Ltd.
- Sharda Fertilizers Ltd.
- Tuff Tubes Pvt. Ltd.
Places of Tourist Interests
- Koro Pahar
Bankura is grouped under Group - D for incentives.
» Bankura Districtwise Services
Education Service in Bankura